a lover's devotion

would you walk the distance if I asked?
called to you from 
this many miles away,
your tired legs, heel bites,
blistered feet,
and no promise of a lover who heals.

would you be so bold as to
cross the line
there to here
quench your wishful thinking
and drown 
in the light of my presence.
holy, holy.

and if I asked you 
to read my palms, would you
feign lines of affection
and call it fate?
like love is a promised thing,
and perform perseverance
for all the many times
I will walk away. 

and would you,
even if you did not have to,
build a ship, learn to set sail
to find shades of green,
dragonflies that gleam,
and give your life, 
if you were to fail?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fathers, mothers, men & women

you're a proper fella!

a believing of the marrow