a non-birthday dissolution


drunk on wine
my formidable friends
cooped up in this lonely room
unafraid
of difficult conversations
and its emotional landscape.

Emmett Sir takes the stage,
speaks at length about
being the head of a family
at this very tender age.

Mordechai on my shoulder
we make a promise
if we hang around too late on the shelf
we must marry once we turn 40.

And yes!
I make a declaration.
no man is enough for me,
so forget their wit and intellect.
I would like only,
to have someone who can hold 
space
for me, and my wild tangents,
and the crippling ruminations with ease.

Rin finds it hard to agree
and perhaps I should too
and it might be sooner than later
that I repeal my silly declaration.

Then she tells me to be selfish for myself
and Emmett Sir pours three shots to that.

my throat closes up
how to swallow such a daunting pill?
for I have loved others so very fiercely
in all the ways I know to love,
and yet when the loving is to be received,
I freeze and come undone.

silly non-birthday dissolution
being left with the gift of contemplation
by company who loved and left so quickly
and I, sighing,
not knowing how to strengthen my calves
or straighten my backbone
in this shrilly art of love and living. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

fathers, mothers, men & women

you're a proper fella!

a believing of the marrow