you've changed faces and I'm getting to know them one by one
sunday night,
what an awful dissolution
you bring banana wine
waltz in with valour
leftovers --- last night's drugs
pulsating in your system
the wonders of ecstasy
with ladies far more open than me
you ponder and sway
as I prepare your lemon cake
unaware that my mind has been made
no more sunday nights
as awful as this
and what
has friendship been to me
all this very long hard time
if you meet me inebriated
and without a clue
worrying about the condition
of your romantic pursuit
but no man may be in pursuit
of the river that changes course
this delicate time
all the people I know
slipping away like sand and
the silly grieving that follows
of the person they were to me
and the loving they left
and no death is greater than
the one that follows the loss
for the person I was with them
died with them
and how I had achingly longed
to meet her again.
you changed faces,
I'm getting to know them
one by one
but the next change
may bear no witness
for my hands and eyes shall be occupied
and the love I keep may be reserved
for affections, stronger than mine.
and you may continue
whatever path you have chosen
resistant still to hard conversation
and the loving
that brought tears
to your calloused hands.
Comments
Post a Comment